Maiden Voyage

We decided to take a break from pool maintenance and do something relaxing. I’m not sure where I got the idea that boating was relaxing, but I blame my parents. It’s a common theme on this blog. When I was a girl, my mother loaded the truck, my dad towed the boat, I played in the water. It seemed to work well. But then my parents had to go and CHANGE the rules! Now I have to load the boat? That’s not nearly as much fun!

Here’s a rundown of our day.

1:15 p.m. Finally got my work done, time to go to the lake!

1:16 p.m. Realize we don’t have a truck with a towing hitch. Drive to Marietta and borrow John’s truck.

1:45 p.m. Drive to Target. They don’t have any life vests.

2:15 p.m. Drive to WalMart. Purchase two life vests, and the last tow-able tube – $100.00 bucks.

2:45 p.m. Clean the cushions in the boat, fill the ice chest, gather 7 towels, slather MoonPie with sunscreen, get a bag of snacks, make sure we have directions, call Jeanette and tell her to meet us.

3:00 p.m. Fill the boat with gas.

3:30 p.m. Put the boat in the water! Tell Jeanette to take the girls to the swimming area while we take it on a test run.

3:40 p.m. Finally get out the pin that allows the motor to go into the water.

3:45 p.m. Boat starts on the 4th try – a record in first trip boating history!

3:46 p.m. Take the boat for an awesome spin around the lake. Twice! Become convinced it might actually run.

4:00 p.m. Yell for Jeanette to bring the girls. Put all snacks/drinks/towels in bow. Get everyone seated with life jackets.

4:01 p.m. Notice the sky is REALLY dark.

4:02 p.m. Realize it’s RAINING, jump out of the boat, and run for cover.

4:40 p.m. Give it up, the rain is NOT going away, send the girls home with Jeanette.

5:00 p.m. Load the boat in the pouring rain. Listen to husband vent the entire way home.

9:35 p.m. Think back to those few minutes when you were flying across the waves in your very own boat. Decide it was worth it. Check the weather for tomorrow.

30% chance of rain? 70% chance of FUN!

6 thoughts on “Maiden Voyage

  1. It could have been worse you could have been cooking and cleaning for 40 people if you had camped.

  2. According to your timeline, you pulled the trim pin AFTER putting the boat in the water?

    I think I found the problem.

  3. Funny… It wasn’t BENT on Sunday when I pulled it out so JD could check the oil in the lower unit.

  4. Ooooopppppsssss……sounds like Ammo guy bent then pin when he put it back in?!?!?!?!?

    Better luck next outing!!!

  5. I didn’t put it back in. I left it out and went home. JD needed to buy more oil before it was ready to be put back in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *